Winter wrap-up

8:22 pm


With the conclusion of Winter yesterday, it's time for a seasonal wrap-up;




READ:

Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
- Maas' writing is improving with each installment of this series, as is the protagonist, who is finally growing on me. The introduction of Rowan and Manon were an interesting addition, i can see that she is expanding the storyline for something bigger than what the plot seems to be. Still, this series isn't living up to the hype. 
3 STARS.

The Last Star by Rick Yancey
-  A disappointing ending to a great idea and first book, lacking in relevant plot explanation, having incredible character imbalances and plain awful descriptions (especially romantic descriptions, *shudders*).
2.5 STARS

Vicious by V.E. Schwab
I really liked this book, its characters and its concept, but I felt like it was missing something, and the lack of adventure and having a contemporary setting made me feel underwhelmed and lost Vicious a full-star rating.  
4 STARS

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
- My favourite read of the year so far! This doesn't even compare to Maas' throne of glass series, the characters are presented much better, the plot thick and balanced between action, sexual tension and suspense. Also, Rhysand.
5 STARS

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by Rowling, Tiffany and Thorne
Scorpius Malfoy and Albus Potter were the characters in the series I never knew I needed, but with the fanfic-esque plot and character imbalances, this play was such a let down and, at times, comical.
3 STARS

The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh
-Going into this book, I knew it would not have the same feel as Wrath did, and with that in mind, I still felt the essence of the first book was significantly missing. It was just good. It was what I expected. Don't get me wrong, I loved the way things unfolded, it was a great ending for the characters, but I didn't want a great ending, I wanted plot twists and treachery and a grand build up to an even grander, unpredictable ending. It was what I expected it to be, should I be bitter about that...? 

However, I would highly recommend this series to anyone and everyone, and I am very glad I read it.

4 STARS

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas
- I  really enjoyed this book. almost as much as i did ACOMAF, however i had a LOT of problems with it, especially regarding Aelin's decisions/actions and Maas' idea of a healthy relationship. Aedion and Lysandra are my favourites and i take back my wariness towards Manon, she could rip out my heart with her nails and i wouldn't care. 
4.5 STARS

Nevernight by Jay Kristoff - DNF
- this book is intriguing but with the constant info dumps and incredibly thick writing style i just couldn't pick it up again. also, it could be because i'm currently reading the throne of glass series but the protagonist and the plot seem very familiar..... and the GODDAMN FOOTNOTES MAKE ME WANT TO CLAW MY EYES OUT. Where's Manon when you need her?



PLAYED:

Mass Effect 3
I started this game in 2015 and, for some reason, never picked it up again. I'm so glad I did. ME3 was an incredible game. I loved how it was plot and character driven, how it utilised the player's choices to determine the outcome of the game. I also liked that i had a lot of choices, from the way i looked, to the team i chose and upgrades i utilised. By the end of the game i had grown so attached that choosing the final way to save the galaxy was really hard (i mean, i had to pause the game and pace around before i finally chose an option.)
4 STARS

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst - DNF
The plot was intriguing, however i was bored with only being able to parkour and occasionally try to punch antagonists with guns. This could have been one of those games that got better as you played but alas i gave up...

Dishonored (replay)
- Dishonored is my comfort game, I don't think i can describe how amazing it is, and how much i adore it. From the smooth game play to the character driven plot and thick world building, there's never a dull moment. As a stealth lover, I like that you can choose not to kill anyone, and its great that those choices are reflected in the final outcome of the game.
Dishonored is just my absolute favourite. 
INFINITE STARS

You Might Also Like

0 comments

read

Gemina
A Torch Against the Night
An Ember in the Ashes
This Savage Song
Crooked Kingdom
Six of Crows

Subscribe